After yesterday's article, I don't want you to think that I refuse to say good things to my students and only criticize negatively. One must be careful with compliments, though. Here are some things to remember when complimenting students:
1. Be sincere, phony compliments help no one.
2. Never compliment the person, compliment what that person does.
3. Don't pit students one against the other.
4. Be as specific as possible.
5. If there are too many absolute compliments (that don't have a "but" after you say them), they tend to lose their worth.