Introspection is an essential part of getting over performance anxiety. Identifying what is actually causing your stage fright is very important. The most common causes of stage fright are:
- You are scared of the judgement of other people.
- You are afraid of making a fool out of yourself; of failing.
- You are worried that if you do badly, your future is at stake.
- You are unsure of what you are doing; insecurity.
- You are not comfortable with the way you look and feel.
In short, the main areas to focus on to solve these problems are:
- Focus on the moment and not on what will happen in the future.
- Accept yourself the way you are.
- Prepare as thoroughly as possible.
- Focus on the positive aspects of playing in public.
In the following posts, I will try to cover each of these causes and solutions individually. If you have a performance anxiety problem, take a moment to sit down and think about what may be causing it. Don't wait until performance day.